Friday, October 9, 2009

Stay On The Path







Dear Young Women,
A couple of weeks ago, I went camping with my family. We had a wonderful time being together. My husband - a true fisherman - took our girls and headed for the lake. I took the dog and headed for the trails which surrounded a national forest. I had been told that the path went all the way around the lake and that it was well paved...so I didn't bother to change out of my flip flops (I know how silly that sounds - I can hardly believe it myself!).

The trails were beautiful and went right along the edge of the lake. The dog and I walked for quite a while and then without warning the path turned from dirt to nothing but rocks. I had to slow down and walk very, very slowly (and the rocks were killing my feet) but I was sure that it would turn back to dirt fairly quickly so I kept walking. We walked a long way and finally I decided that the path was going to stay rock and I had better turn back and hope that my feet could survive until I got to the dirt path again.

Just as I was ready to give up, I came around a bend and there was the path again...only this time it wasn't just dirt it was actually paved! If I thought the scenery was beautiful before, it couldn't compare to what was on this side of the lake; I had the feeling not many people came this distance and missed how beautiful this part of the forest was.

If I had turned around, I would have missed out on the incredible experience of seeing part of forest that I didn't know existed. I also would have given up right before the rocky path changed and I would have had to walk all the way back through the rocks. As it turned out, the path led me right back to where I had started.

My experience is very similar to everyday life: we go along and the path has bumps and curves, but nothing that we can't handle. Then out of nowhere, we hit a rocky path and we have to make a decision: do we continue forward - even at a slower pace - or do we go back and never see what the Lord has in store for us around the bend. Regarding trials (or rocky paths) H. Burke Peterson said, "Trials come to the strong and to the weak - to the sick and to the healthy.Yes, the trials will still be there; but with the companionship of the Spirit our approach to trials will change frustrations and heartaches to blessings."
I hope that each of you will remember that we all have periods when the path is rocky, but there are many people who love you and are willing to walk with you. You are not alone. Just stay on the path. There is something beautiful in store for you around the bend.
I hope you have a great week and that I'll see you soon.

Lots of love,

No comments:

Post a Comment