Monday, December 7, 2009

5 Minutes A Day....


Dear Young Women,

I hope each one of you had a great Thanksgiving. For the first time in many years, I was together with my mom and 4 sisters (yes, there are 5 girls in my family and I'm the oldest). We had a great time together; believe it or not, you'll love and appreciate your family even more as you get older.

This year, I have tried hard to follow the counsel of the General YW Presidency and P-R-S (pray, read, smile) everyday. I haven't been perfect in it, but I have definitely made an effort to do it most days; I especially noticed a difference when I read my scriptures 5 minutes every day. I have found that my love and appreciation of the scriptures has grown in a big way.

In fact, I want to share a little experience with you about reading my scriptures: one night I woke up in the night worried about one of my children (I have 4 and it's not uncommon for me to wake up thinking about one of them - I can almost guarantee that your mom does it too!). The longer I lay there awake, the more I worried - and the less I slept. Finally, I grabbed my Book of Mormon that was next to my bed and thought I'd just read a little. As I began to read, the story began to talk about the principle of free agency and I realized that the message was exactly what I needed to hear. The more I read, the more my worries went away and the more I felt peace. I know that by turning to the scriptures, I received the message our Heavenly Father had intended for me.

Heavenly Father has messages for each one of us. If you will read everyday for 5 minutes, I know that you'll come to understand messages that will be meaningful in your life and your love of the scriptures will grow just as mine has.

I love you all and I'm so grateful for that I get to associate with such amazing young women. Have a wonderful week - and good luck next week on your finals!

TTYL~

No comments:

Post a Comment